MC7750 libqmi

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Nov 5 01:04:29 PST 2013

Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> writes:

>> First, what firmware version?
>>
>> qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-revision
>
> Revision: 'SWI9600M_01.00.09.03AP R2492 CARMD-EN-10526 2011/07/01 19:31:09'
>
> I questioned if this was indeed the cmd to get the firmware revision
> as the above looks very old.

That is the firmware revision, and it *is* very old.

>  I believe the latest is 3.5.10.9 Sept 11
> 2013.  I'll have to dig into the docs to figure out how to update it
> (I believe I have to use a windows host and app)

Sierra do support updating on Linux using their Linux SDK, but only if
you use the drivers coming with that SDK [1], and only if the device is
in the mode expected by the update utility.  The SDK is usually
delivered with some binary-only components.  I am not sure if your
OpenWRT platform is supported.  You should check this with your Sierra
support contact.

I would have moved the card temporarily to a Windows box to do the
update, if that is an option. If not, then I think I'd stick with the
current revision unless there are really good reasons not to...

[1] in theory it is possible to use the SDK update utility on top of
    qcserial + qmi_wwan if you create a SDK API compatibility layer
    using CUSE. But you'd still face the binary-only SDK library
    problem, so it won't help much unless the platform already is
    supported by the SDK