Huawei E1732 qmilib supported?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Sep 8 08:43:49 PDT 2013

david preetham <preetham.david at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bjorn and aleksander,
>
> Thanks for reply.
> E1732:
> Before connection does it mandatory to register with circuit switch(CS) and
> packet switch(PS) and attach to packet switch?

I don't really know much about this... I have just assumed that
everything is PS in this millennium, and that this therefore is the
default.

CS is something we used back when we could set up V.110 dialin access on
a home ISDN circuit and dial into it from a Psion S5, using IrDA to a
Nokia 8810.  Nowadays, there is
 - no ISDN
 - no Psion
 - no IrDA
 - no Nokia
 - and no CS GSM

:-)

>  In windows registering with PS,CS and attaching to PS is done through
> serial interface(PC UI port) by sending AT commands.
>  And then, able to connect either modem or network interface to network.
>
> 1) In ubuntu without sending any AT commands to the serial interface for
> registering and attaching with PS and CS, I am able to connect using NDIS
> interface by sending WDS start request. once connection is success if i am
> running udhcpc on wwan0 interface i am able to acquire IP
> address.(qmi_wwan(data and control) and cdc-wdm(subdriver))
>
> In ubuntu how  registering with network is happening before connection?
> does it depends on ISP?
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> 2) In ubuntu i am switching E1732 using usb_modeswitch based on message
> content present in switching configuration target vendor ID and
> bInterfaceClass,  bInterfaceSubClass and bInterfaceProtocol  are varying.
>
> case 1:
> vid: 140C
> bInterfaceClass FFh Vendor-Specific bInterfaceSubClass FFh
> bInterfaceProtocol FFh
>
> case 2:
> vid: 1436
> bInterfaceClass 02h CDC bInterfaceSubClass 06h ECM bInterfaceProtocol FFh
>
> In windows after switch it is going to CASE 1.
> I am using CASE 2 in ubuntu and able to connect.
> i am able to switch to case 1 but i am using case 2 only as of now.
>
> Can I know any difference will be there regarding QMI request and response
> based on service(wds,nas,cat etc) for connection?
> or some services wont be supported in one configuration and some supported
> in other configuration?

You'd have to ask Huawei about this.  My guess is that it is purely
consmetical, changing only the configuration descriptor.  But the
firmware could change other settings too, and even execute completely
different code for those two device IDs.

Only someone with access to the firmware source would know.

In Linux the major difference would be that case 1 binds to the qmi_wwan
driver and case 2 to the cdc_ether driver.  So you would only have
access to the QMI channel in case 1.

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 3)In general can i send QMI_NAS_INITIATE_NETWORK_REGISTER and
> QMI_NAS_INITIATE_ATTACH QMI requests to the device for registering with PS
> and CS, since i am not sending any AT commands for registering(PS and CS)
> before wds start request? even though it is connecting as of now. Can i
> know any other requests i need to send before wds start?

I don't think you need to send any NAS commands at all before
connecting, unless you want to change the defaults.

> even though all this depends on device firmware but in general you can tell
> me.

Yes.  I do not know much about this, only observing the firmware from
the outside.

Bjørn