Question about Gobiserial Vs qmi_wwan

Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:50:59 PDT 2014

Thanks again for the info. I was reading through the "AirCard / AirPrime
USB Driver Developer’s Guide" from Sierra, this explanation put together
with that makes things a lil bit more clearer now ! So if I summarise what
I understand

1. sierra_net.c imlpemented direct-ip where there was one channel on which
the AT/CnS commands were used for control, and the direct-ip channel was
used for sending IP data to the modem (over a wwan0 interface created by
sierra_net.c). The modem probably ran its own pppd server and then sent
these packets over ppp anyways.

2. With QMI, the usbnet.c driver creates a wwan0 interface. The cdc_ether.c
+ qmi_wwan.c + libqmi alltogether implements the QMI control protocol. And
if I understand correctly from the sierra pdf document, the IP data and QMI
control are sent on the same USB channel, so I guess even data has some
kind of qmi encaps which distinguishes data Vs qmi control.

Rgds,
Gopa.