QMICLI IPV6 problem on MC7354

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Dec 16 06:26:24 PST 2014

>>> I am trying to get  IPv6 address on MC7354 via following procedures
>>>
>>> 1) AT+CGDCONT=1,IPV4V6
>>> 2) qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --wds-start-network=internet
>>> --client-no-release-cid
>>> 3) dhclient -6 wwan1 (I tried -N -T -P -S options and still failed.)
>>>
>>> I have confirmed the IPv6 address is already in MC7354, but the device
>>> cannot get IPv6 address via dhclient.
>>>
>>> Did I miss any options or commands that I should use?
>>
>> The profiles set with AT+CGDCONT and what you request with QMI WDS
>> Start Network (--wds-start-network) are not related.
>
> Actually they are....  At least they are in my QMI modems.  E.g (this is
> a Huawei E392, but AFAIK this is the same for Sierra QMI modems):

Yeah, I was actually referring explicitly to the --wds-start-network
command in qmicli, where we specify the APN to use; not to the QMI
profiles, as qmicli still doesn't know how to activate/deactivate
already stored connection profiles. So doing AT+CGDCONT and then
--wds-start-network="apn" doesn't really "activate the profile we just
set with AT+CGDCONT". If we wanted to do that, --wds-start-network
should allow to pass the "profile number to activate", and then we
would internally be using the "3GPP Configured Profile Identifier" TLV
for that, instead of an explicit APN.

>> The IP type to
>> use in the connection can be set in different ways using the QMI
>> protocol (e.g. with "QMI WDS Set IP Family" and
>> QMI_WDS_IP_FAMILY_IPV6). The problem here is that qmicli doesn't
>> support that command yet. You can try to use ModemManager and its
>> mmcli tool instead (mmcli -m 0
>> --simple-connect="apn=internet,ip-type=ipv6")
>
> AFAIK there is *no* way to specify "ip-type=ipv4v6" using "QMI WDS Set
> IP Family".  You have to define a IPV4V6 PDP type profile using either
> "QMI WDS Create Profile", "QMI WDS Modify Profile Settings", or
> AT+CGDCONT.
>
> I believe the firmware will do APN matching when looking for the
> appropriate profile, before falling back to the default.
>
> Note that the default should probably always be IPV4V6 on any LTE modem.
> This allows the modem to establish a default bearer on any type of
> network, whether it is IPv4-only, IPv6-only or dual stack enabled.  If
> the default profile is restricted to either IPv4 or IPv6, and this
> doesn't match the network, then you won't even get a successful
> registration on an LTE network (because the default bearer fails).
>

> To summarize: What Zophia does to connect looks correct to me.

I don't think so; the "WDS Start Network" given by qmicli
--wds-start-network gives just the APN to use, it doesn't give any
reference to the profile that was set with AT+CGDCONT. If you want to
use profiles, then qmicli needs to be modified to allow passing the
profile ID (e.g. a new --wds-start-network-id=[ID]").