ZTE MF825 HTTP connection

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Feb 21 03:36:05 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM, david preetham
<preetham.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> please explain
> 1) we are not able to see any loaded modules. how usb0 and rmnetx interfaces
> are created?
> 2) How modem is able to connect to service providers using http requests?
> 3) Is there any NAT used between private and public IP?

Your modem exposes a single network interface and runs a web server
within. You can likely configure APN/user/password/PIN and things like
that directly in the built-in web interface of the modem, and get it
connected/disconnected also via HTTP. The HTTP connection is only
between your host and the device (which is where the web server is
running). Some manufacturers are selling these modules as "no driver
needed!", which could make sense in Windows platforms, but we're not
used to these in Linux-based systems. Regarding the NAT-ing, not sure.
Of course you have a private IP address and a public one, but don't
know whether the firmware will end up doing NAT... wouldn't make sense
because it is a 1-to-1 relationship between the IPs, but who knows.