qmi-proxy running as non-root user

Ben Chan benchan at chromium.org
Mon Jan 13 13:35:53 PST 2014

> Letting the clients check whether they are allowed to open the port
> before trying to use the proxy is not a good idea; you would be
> relying on well-behaved clients, but that is not secure. One issue
> currently is that the proxy is launched by the first process that
> wants to use the port, and therefore inherits all its
> uid/pid/environment. Limiting the usage to the root user was just a
> quick way to make it safe, but if we can really do a proper
> per-file-access-control that is secure, I'm all for it. Although not
> sure exactly how that would be.

I was not suggesting that the client should perform the check. The
qmi-proxy should probably check if a client can access the device in
incoming_cb, but that seems tricky as you said (unless it uses a helper to
impersonate the client credential and perform the file permissions check).
That's why I'm looking for a compilation option to disable the check in
qmi-proxy and have a sandbox to constrain the ModemManagr/qmi-proxy process.