Android RIL and libqmi

Igor Almeida igor.contato at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 07:57:04 PST 2014

Just to put this in its own thread:

On 01/14/2014 08:11 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Which would be a nice project for someone with lots of time :-)

While I don't have lots of time, I'd certainly be interested in learning
more about this.

> Anyway, I don't think the qmi_wwan driver is very useful on typical
> mobile phone hardware, where the modem interface is some internal "bus"
> (or shared memory) and not USB.  The qmi_wwan driver is tightly coupled
> to USB.  It will be much easier to reimplement the functionality in a
> new driver for a shared memory modem than adapting qmi_wwan to this kind
> of hardware.
>
> But a RIL supporting qmi_wwan could be useful for devices with no
> builtin modem, like wlan-only tablets.  If you want such a device to
> work as a phone using an external USB modem.
>
> And an open source RIL would be nice to have in general.

Very well. Given that my target is the Nexus 4, I choose the first approach.
I'll take a look at the QMI-related bits in the kernel to reimplement
the necessary parts in libqmi. If anyone has any paths/filenames handy
(in both trees) it would be easier to get started (less things to look
for).

What would be the minimal subset of functionality necessary to be able
to see ANY kind of conversation happening between the modem and the library?

--
Igor Almeida