Some questions about qmi/wwan

Marco listaddr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:17:10 PDT 2014

Hello,

I've been able to start a broadband connection with a gobi modem using
qmicli/qmi-network + dhcp client. I was able to get it working by reading
http://sigquit.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/an-introduction-to-libqmi/ and
hacking around a bit (for example to validate the PIN before starting the
network).
Everything works, however this is all new to me and I have some questions:

- I didn't load any firmware whatsoever. Is it needed or not?

- Once the kernel module is loaded, I get two /dev/cdc-wdm devices (0 and
1). What are those for? The one that seems to be working with qmicli is
/dev/cdc-wdm1. I also get two network interfaces, wwp0s20u6 and
wwp0s20u6i3, the second one is the one that I can use dhcp client with and
get an IP. Which is the purpose of the other one?

- Sniffing with tcpdump or wireshark shows ethernet frames. Don't broadband
connections use PPP anymore? How is authentication performed? According to
the man, PAP/CHAP authentication is still an option.

- The device has an integrated GPS (PDS in qmi-speak). I understand that,
currently, with libqmi it is not possible to use it (or at least I see no
pds-* options in qmicli 1.10.0, which is the version I'm using). Is that
right?

Sorry for the naive questions, any link or pointer to documentation will be
most welcome.