Netgear 340u

David McCullough david.mccullough at accelecon.com
Sun May 4 16:00:34 PDT 2014

Bjørn Mork wrote the following:
> Noah Taber <noahtaber at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Well, I think I'm done with the 340u.  I'm pretty sure I broke it tonight.
> >  I ran the following AT command:
> >
> > AT!UDUSBCOMP=9
> >
> > I only have a MBIM interface to the device.  I cannot connect to it through
> > serial to issue anymore AT commands.
> >
> > Do any of you have any hints?  Otherwise, I'll get a different device.
>
> Shit.  I was just writing you an email where I tried to warn about
> exactly that.  Sorry.
>
> I am pretty sure there is some way to fix it, but we just don't know
> how.  These settings are most likely stored in some NVRAM variable.
> One nice thing about that MBIM function is that it implements a QMI pass
> through, so you still have all the power of QMI available.  So if we
> knew how to fix this by using QMI, then it could be fixed.  It is
> probably possible to force the modem into boot loader mode, where you
> should be able to rewrite most of the flash contents including the
> NVRAM.
>
> In theory.  I wouldn't know how to do that.

It should be ok,  all the 340u I have dealt with are in mode '9' and only
present the MBIM interface.

Under linux they present two configurations, and the MBIM interface is
configration '2'.

All i even do to get these modems operating is change them to
configuration '1'.

Find the correct /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../bNumConfigurations for your
340u (the idProduct and idVendor files in the same directory will help).

If this is working like I usually see, bNumConfigurations will be 2 and
bConfigurationValue will be 2, fix this with:

	echo 1 > bConfigurationValue

Which should get you back to the QMI/tty interfaces (option number 6).

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough,  david.mccullough at accelecon.com,   Ph: 0410 560 763