Image Management

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue May 27 08:58:20 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Kevin Elledge <kelledge at petropower.com> wrote:
> I've recently received a Sierra Wireless MC8355 based on the Qualcomm Gobi
> 3000 and as
> I understand, (or perhaps misunderstand) these devices can operate across a
> variety of
> cellular networks by selecting the appropriate firmware to load on the
> device. (i.e. there are
> AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, ..., firmware variants an end-user can select
> from.)
>
> I have successfully used libqmi to list firmware image on my device (see
> below), but I have not yet found
> any method to upload/download firmware images to/from my device. Can anyone
> offer some
> advice in this area?
>
> ###########
> # Image list
> ###########
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device list of stored images retrieved:
>
>     [0] Type:    'modem'
>         Maximum: '6'
>
>         >>>>>>>>>> [CURRENT] <<<<<<<<<<
>         [modem0]
>         Unique ID: '00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00'
>         Build ID:      'D3200-STSUXN-1577'
>         Storage index: '0'
>         Failure count: '0'

Current libqmi/qmicli/ModemManager can both list and select installed
images. So, if your device had multiple images selectable, it would
allow you to switch between them. Now, for loading new firmware
images, I'm afraid I cannot help there. For Gobi 2k devices we use
"gobi_loader" to load the image into the device, but I'm not sure that
is applicable to Gobi 3k as you need a QDL port for that... There
probably is some way to do it via QMI, but I'm not sure it is either
described or documented somewhere. Maybe others have more ideas?