RX-fixup question.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 13:00:38 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 21:07 +0100, Markus Gothe wrote:
> To reduce overhead on embedded / slow systems one should IMO implement the mac destination fix for specific devices by the means of ebtables only.
>
> Thus gaining performance in most cases.

If fixup was only done with ebtables in userspace it would require
another list of devices somewhere (which duplicates the kernel lists)
and the network driver for that device would be broken-by-default.  I
don't think this would be a reliable or viable approach.

These bugs aren't necessarily specific to certain devices, they were
just observed in those devices initially.  They are likely specific to
certain Qualcomm firmware branches/versions which might be used by many
different manufacturers.

What's the actual performance hit that qmi_wwan_rx_fixup() incurs? 5%?
10%? 20%?

I'd rather whitelist specific devices known to work than turn the fixup
off for everything and push stuff to userspace.

Dan