Ethernet-briding a MBIM-interface

Markus Gothe nietzsche at lysator.liu.se
Fri Nov 7 14:40:57 PST 2014

Dear all,
FWIW: After hustling around with tap-devices, without luck because obvious reasons (despite the name, tap-devices are useless for intercepting data on), I found out that this virtual configuration works pretty well for debugging a driver in bridged mode:

ip link add veth0 type veth peer name veth1 #Create a virtual ethernet pair veth0 with its endpoint in veth1
brctl addbr br0 #Create a virtual bridge
brctl addif br0 veth0 #Add veth0 to the virtual bridge
brctl addif br0 wwan0  #Add our modem to the virtual bridge
mbim-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start (or qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start ) #Start the data packet service
tcpdump -v -e -i veth0 &  #Start intercepting
udhcpc -i veth1 #Issue a DHCP request from veth0 to wwan0, remember that veth1 is the endpoint.

//M