[RFC] Support for raw-ip only modems in libqmi/qmicli/qmi-network

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Dec 29 08:39:18 PST 2015

Hey,

This series of patches includes a new set of APIs, qmicli commands and qmi-network logic to handle devices which only do raw-ip, like the MC7455.

libqmi includes two new methods per QmiDevice:
 qmi_device_get_expected_data_format()
 qmi_device_set_expected_data_format()
The implementation of these methods just reads/writes the sysfs file according to what's requested. I'm not 100% happy with the names here, maybe "qmi_device_[get|set]_kernel_expected_data_format()" or "qmi_device_[get|set]_kernel_data_format()" would have been better?

qmicli includes two new commands:
  --get-expected-data-format
  --set-expected-data-format
These commands will make use of the new libqmi APIs to read/write the sysfs file.

qmi-network includes some new automatic logic to work with these new devices. If the kernel exposes the new sysfs file, qmi-network will try to update the link layer protocol expected by the kernel to match the one reported by WDA. If the kernel doesn't expose the sysfs file, we fallback to request 802.3 via WDA.

What do you guys think? I know it's likely too much trouble to have these new APIs just to R/W the sysfs files, but I thought this integrates a bit better with the remaining QmiDevice implementation.