QMI protocol error (3): 'Internal' when running dms-set-operating-mode

Isaac Raway isaac at mm.st
Mon Jan 12 05:15:05 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015, at 09:55 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-12-30 at 11:37 -0600, Isaac Raway wrote:
>> One interesting note, this card works perfectly if I boot into
>> Windows from a USB drive (Windows was banished from the internal SSD
>> on purchase), connect via Dell's "SkyLight" program, then warm-boot
>> back to Fedora 20. In that case, the initial power mode read from
>> dms-get-operating-mode is "online" rather than "low-power".
>
> This smells like rfkill driver issues. What do you get for 'rfkill
> list' run in a terminal under Linux from cold-boot, and does that
> change if you boot windows, then warm-boot to Linux?

Cold boot and wam boot both seem to respond with the same results for
rfkill list and do not seem to mention the WWAN card. Although it is
interesting that the ID numbers(?) are different and the order has
changed. Not sure if that is significant.

Cold boot:

1: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
2: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no

Warm boot:

: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no

> The other possibility is firmware incompatibility, if the device you
> have requires loading firmware with gobi_loader. But that's only for
> older non-LTE cards usually so I don't think this is too likely.

I think that the fact we can interrogate the modem means that firmware
is in fact installed. We believe that it did require installation in
Windows but that it remains in non-volatile memory. The Windows
installer did have a long period of activity that looked like a
firmware flash.

IJR