QMI protocol error (3): 'Internal' when running dms-set-operating-mode

Isaac Raway isaac at mm.st
Mon Jan 26 11:34:48 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 09:45 AM, Isaac Raway wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015, at 09:22 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> Cold boot and wam boot both seem to respond with the same results
>>> for rfkill list and do not seem to mention the WWAN card. Although
>>> it is interesting that the ID numbers(?) are different and the order
>>> has changed. Not sure if that is significant.
>>>
>>> Cold boot:
>>>
>>> 1: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
>>> 2: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
>>>

>>> Warm boot:
>>>
>>> : hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
>>> 3: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
>>
>> Is this a Dell 5570 (Sierra 8805)? Also, which specific Windows
>> kernel version is this machine using?
>
> I believe it is a "Dell 5808 Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband" which
> appears to actually be a Sierra MC7750 from what I've found online[1]?
> The lsusb output is:
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:81a8 Dell Computer Corp.
>
> The string obviously isn't terribly useful in identifying it.
>
> Not sure about the Windows kernel - don't have the windows USB disk
> with me at the moment. It would be the latest patched Windows 7 Pro
> kernel though.

Actually it looks like it is identifying as a MC7355. Here is some
additional output that I was able to get via AT commands (I don't really
know much about this so I'm not sure if this is useful information):

ATI Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated Model: MC7355 Revision:
SWI9X15C_05.05.39.00 r22582 carmd-fwbuild1 2014/06/14 13:21:08 MEID:
35619505057226 ESN: 12802831533, 802B34AD IMEI: 356195050572260 IMEI SV:
14 FSN: ER422300060411 +GCAP: +CGSM

OK AT!CUSTOM? !CUSTOM: GPSENABLE 0x01 FASTENUMEN 0x01 GPSSEL 0x01
NMEAENABLE 0x01 UBISTENABLE 0x01 GOBIIMEN 0x01 USBSERIALENABLE 0x02

OK AT+CGREG? +CGREG: 2,0

OK AT+CPIN? +CPIN: READY

OK AT+COPS? +COPS: 0

I had set the CGREG mode to 2. The second value there seems to indicate
that the modem is not looking for a network -- but I cannot find out how
to switch it into a mode where it will actually look for the network.

IJR