Sierra dual QMI/MBIM

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Jul 28 04:51:34 PDT 2015

Markus Gothe <nietzsche at lysator.liu.se> writes:

> I am not using udev as hotplug-script, remember? :-).

I don't remember anything.  I delegate that task to Google :-)

Uhm, OK. But the theory should be the same:  Trigger a mode selection
immediately on discovery.

But if the firmware really cannot handle the cdc_mbim driver
initialization then this is a race, which is unfortunate.  I Just don't
see any better alternatives.  I really don't want to have another magic
driver switch for this.  The NCM vs MBIM thing is bad enough.

Come to think of it: It would probably be a nice generic feature for
Linux if we added some way to dynamically blacklist a driver for a
specific device. This is only one use case, but I'm sure there are
more. It's not that uncommon that you have multiple conflicting drivers
for the same device. What do you think?