Image management

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Jul 31 13:36:42 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 20:14 +0200, Markus Gothe wrote:
>> How much is known about "Image management" for firmware images via QMI.
>
> I've only played around with selecting specific already-stored images.
> That works fine on G2K+ as far as I know.  I haven't played around with
> uploading images at all, and I'm not sure how that would actually work.
> Aleksander might know more.

I've been asked the same by multiple people in the past years, but I
don't have a clear picture yet of how everything works. Uploading new
images is supposedly done via a mix of QMI messages and then the
QDL-based download mode. I wanted to try to implement my own tool for
Sierra devices, but got busy with other stuff and never really did
much with it.

As for playing with images already uploaded, I've done that a lot but
with a single Foxconn-branded QMI modem; didn't find any other modem
that would allow me to do that (i.e. with the DMS methods to
select/remove firmware images).