Netgear Aircard 341U in QMI mode, switching to 802.3

David McCullough david.mccullough at accelecon.com
Mon Jun 8 17:31:37 PDT 2015

Hi all,

We have the 341u working using libqmi on an older product.
The modem changes how it behaves depending on what mode it is in at least
in my experience.  Various firmware updates also messed with the
RAW/non-raw stuff quite a but.

Currently we need to set the options

    --device-open-net=net-802-3|net-no-qos-header

for all qmi commands, ModemManager does this by default so that should be
covered for anyone using that. In IPPassthrough mode the 341 always runs in
rawip mode.

It also seems to have a hardcoded MTU of 1460 that it doesn't advertise.
At least that was our experience with multiple installs.

Attached is a patch that we ran on linux 2.6.39 (old I know) but it should
give a good basis for anyone wanting to update the driver.  Chances are I
will be doing this work on a 4.0 kernel pretty soon anyway as our newer
products roll out,

Cheers,
Davidm