RFC: raw-ip-only driver

Markus Gothe nietzsche at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jun 24 14:07:22 PDT 2015

Given the success Ive had with MBIM (and briding etc.) I was thinking for USB-tethering devices like the Sprint / Netgear 770S (which behaves like the 341U) that have unique PIDs wouldnt it make sense to have a "raw-ip only driver"? It is not likely you want to bridge a MiFi. And if you want then one can give it some effort.

This is based upon the assumptions of uniq PIDs but one could also do some probing of the device and unbind/rebind it to the correct driver knowing its behaviour.

This should be straight forward to implement. I might give it a try during weekend.

Any thoughts?

//M