qmi-network disconnected after 120sec if not receiving a DHCP Request?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Nov 9 22:45:45 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM, BenoƮt <benoitne at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I remember seeing that it is a normal behavior that qmi-network will
> be disconnected if no dhcp request is made before 120sec.
> I have tried to manually add the IP thanks to the information provided by
> the new option in Master branch ( --wds-get-current-settings) but it is not
> like to work.
>
> So I am just wondering if there is a particular behavior where the data pane
> is going to only be available if dhcp request / response are previously
> made?
> Then it would explain why in my configuration without DHCP and with manual
> IP configuration it doesn't work.

Yes, we've seen that already in some Huawei devices at least. This
lengthy discussion in the ModemManager mailing list as an example:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2014-August/001423.html

Basically, some modems require the DHCP step even if they expose the
IP settings via QMI, which is why we're defaulting to DHCP always for
QMI modems in ModemManager.