libqmi instead of NetworkManager?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Oct 2 08:03:55 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The thing is that the MC7354 is both GSM/UMTS/LTE and CDMA/EVDO, so
>> ModemManager tries to match CDMA/LTE related rules as well as the
>> GSM/UMTS/LTE ones. When using libqmi/qmicli directly you can just
>> ignore all CDMA related stuff. When using ModemManager, the modem
>> should still allow you to connect to GSM/UMTS/LTE even if CDMA/EVDO is
>> not available; if it doesn't let you connect, that would be a problem.
>
> What service provider are you trying to connect with Paul?
>
> Aleksander, it looks like the modem isn't registered with any provider,
> much less an LTE or 3GPP capable one.  The Serving System response says
> "not-registered-searching".  So until that says the modem is registered
> to something (either 3GPP or 3GPP2) the modem won't allow a connection
> AFAIK.

Yeah, all that is true. I just assumed he was using a 3GPP+3GPP2 modem
in a 3GPP-only environment, and hence the warnings about CDMA
registration being unavailable. But yes, if it is not registered
either in one or the other, it won't allow to connect (at least when
using Simple.Connect()). A follow up email from Paul said that he
actually disconnected the antenna, so that's why he wasn't registered
anywhere! :)