Carrier certification with libqmi ?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Oct 14 03:51:56 PDT 2015

Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> writes:

> Ramesh Siripurapu <ramesh.siripurapu at aptiwiz.com> writes:
>
>>> For this one, I cannot find anything in the Gobi SDK that allows a
>>> network-initiated firmware update. But since the latest public Gobi SDK
>>> stuff is a couple years old now, maybe they've added it later?
>>>

>> Latest Gobi SDK has network initiated firmware update in SWI OMA DM
>> APIs.  This is not available yet in libqmi.
>>
>> SLQSOMADMStartSession 	( 	ULONG  	sessionType	)
>
> I believe this comes from the Sierra Wireless QMI SDK?  And it is
> probably specific to Sierra Wireless QMI devices.  I haven't looked at
> how it is implemented, but I assume it depends on SWI firmware features.
> That would of course not prevent it from being implemented in libqmi
> (like the SWI FCC thingy).  But you should be aware that it won't
> necessarily be valid for any generic Gobi device.

Curious as I am, I had to look at this.  Unless I'm reading something
wrong, then this function use an 0x4e20 message id in the 0xf0 QMI
service - for which we have no docs AFAIK.  The high service number
might indicate a vendor specific range?  But we'd need to know a lot
more to be able to reimplement this feature. For now you're probably
better off using the vendor supported SDK for stuff like this.

I happened to get a QMI version dump from my EM7305 a couple of days ago
while looking at something else, and the 0xf0 service was there (don't
know the exact firmware version unfortunately):

supports 23 QMI subsystems:
  QMI_CTL (1.5)
  QMI_WDS (1.16)
  QMI_DMS (1.13)
  QMI_NAS (1.25)
  QMI_QOS (1.3)
  QMI_WMS (1.8)
  QMI_PDS (1.13)
  QMI_AUTH (1.2)
  QMI_AT (1.2)
  QMI_VOICE (2.1)
  QMI_CAT2 (2.11)
  QMI UIM (1.12)
  QMI PBM (1.4)
  QMI_LOC (2.0)
  QMI_SAR (1.0)
  0x12 (1.0)
  QMI_TS (1.0)
  QMI_TMD (1.0)
  QMI_WDA (1.0)
  0x1d (1.0)
  QMI_CAT (2.11)
  QMI_RMS (1.0)
  0xf0 (1.0)

(The 0x12 and 0x1d services are only unknown because I haven't bothered
adding them to the script - they are defined in the latest public GobiAPI:
   eQMI_SVC_IMSS,          // 018 IMS settings service
   eQMI_SVC_CSVT,          // 029 Circuit switched videotelephony service
)

Just for the record, I also got a version dump from my MC7710 running
the latest firmware for that one, and it did *not* include those services:

supports 17 QMI subsystems:
  QMI_CTL (1.5)
  QMI_WDS (1.12)
  QMI_DMS (1.7)
  QMI_NAS (1.21)
  QMI_QOS (1.3)
  QMI_WMS (1.4)
  QMI_PDS (1.10)
  QMI_AUTH (1.1)
  QMI_AT (1.1)
  QMI_VOICE (2.1)
  QMI_CAT2 (2.0)
  QMI UIM (1.4)
  QMI PBM (1.4)
  QMI_SAR (1.0)
  QMI_WDA (1.0)
  QMI_CAT (2.0)
  QMI_RMS (1.0)

I have no idea how to interpret these data points.  Just provided FYI.