ZTE 403ZT supported ?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 06:46:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 10:12 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni <gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi modem experts,
> >
> > Is the latest and greatest ZTE 403ZT modem supported by qmi or linux
> > serial ? I tried plugging it in, it does create ttyUSB0/1 interfaces,
> > but no wwan interfaces. The ttyUSB doesn't respond to AT commands
> > either
>
> You can safely assume that any new ZTE modems are unsupported.  They do
> their best to prevent any generic support.
>
> Each ZTE device has a unique function layout, with no hints whatsoever.
> So the support depends on someone with the actual device figuring out
> what the different functions are.  The easiest way is usually inspecting
> the Windows driver package.  The *.inf files describe the relationship
> between Windows drivers and USB pid/vid/interfaces.  Most of the time
> you can guess the function based on the Windows driver name.  But it's
> best to verify the guesswork, which can only be done with someone having
> access to the device.

Its FCC ID appears to be SRQ-MF860E (hmm, MF860E...) and it contains a
Qualcomm MDM9230.  The User Guide for it mentions these ports:

Make sure that "CWID USB SCSI CD-ROM USB Device,"
"ZTE Diagnostics Device (COMx)," "ZTE Proprietary USB
Modem #x," "ZTE UI AT Interface (COMx)," "ZTE USB
Composite Device," "ZTE Wireless Ethernet Adapter
#x," and "USB Mass Storage Device" are shown in
"Device Manager" of PC.

So it may be QMI, but probably it's AT+ether.  In any case, we'll need
lsusb -v output to figure out what it's supposed to be.

Dan