QMICLI IPV6 problem on MC7354

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Aug 18 19:35:44 UTC 2016

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I noticed that qmicli doesn't support an explicit IP Type for --wds-
>>> start-network though, so I just added support for that in this
>>> commit:
>>>
>>> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libqmi/commit/?id=81c213791e794311a01f3f
>>> 69e763eb9b10c84f4d
>>
>> And somehow I forgot about --wds-set-ip-family.  So now I'm wondering
>> what the interaction between that
>> and qmi_message_wds_start_network_input_set_ip_family_preference()
>> really is, and whether the Start Network TLV just sets the ip family
>> behind the scenes too.  Revert that commit?  Leave it?
>
> Bjørn had some thoughts on this a while ago (IIRC) but cannot find the
> email thread.

No me either, and my memory is flaky at best,  But I believe it must
have been something along the lines of "we need --wds-set-ip-family
anyway to support older modems without the ip family TLV, so why bother
doing both?"

I don't know how relevant that is anymore.  Experience with the DMS UIM
commands shows that Qualcomm will remove deprecated functionality.
Which implies that libqmi has to support every method they ever came up
with, since there will be some modem requiring it...