not able to receive any indications using libqmi on Linaro

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 17:20:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-12-05 at 19:14 -0800, Shilpa Velamuri wrote:
> Do indications from modem arrive to libqmi on the same port/pipe/path
> as
> request/response messages?

Yes, they do.  Indications *are* responses, they just have a different
bit set in the header to indicate they aren't responses to a specific
command.  If you can receive responses, there is no reason you
shouldn't be able to receive indications too.

Have you tried with a different device to see if the device's firmware
is somehow buggy?  What QMI service versions do you have?  Some early
firmware versions don't support many indications.  But they should all
support at least basic ones from NAS and DMS.

> Does the flag - QMI_DEVICE_OPEN_FLAGS_SYNC have any effect on
> receiving
> indications?

Not really. This flag opens the device and tells the firmware to "sync"
itself, which clears firmware state and disposes of all existing
allocated QMI clients.  So in that case yes, it throws away any
indication setup you may have previously done, and you'd need to enable
those indications again.

Can you try to build and run the attached file?  Instructions in the
file near the top.  This will test if your device handles indications
correctly.

Dan