running libqmi on Android / qmuxd

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 20 20:54:17 UTC 2016

Hi Reinhard,

thanks for your input.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:26:57PM +0100, Reinhard Speyerer wrote:
> as can be seen from Core/Socket.h of the Gobi Extensible API the
> QMUXD protocol uses these messages types
> so the mapping should be pretty simple.

I will try this soon, hopefully tomorrow.

> One feature that seems to missing from both the GobiNet driver and the
> QMUXD protocol is an equivalent to QMI_CTL_GET_VERSION_INFO however.

For qmuxd there is QMI_QMUX_IF_GET_VERSION_INFO which generates a
QMI_CTL_GET_VER_INFO_MSG_ID towards the baseband processor.  So I think
that also shouldn't be a problem.

My immediate goal is to find a way to establish a packet data connection
(via WDS) from the Linux processor on a non-android qmuxd-based MDM
chipset.  The bit question I've been wondering about is how to identify
the network device via which the actual IP data of the PDP context will
be received (e.g. rmnet0).  I was hoping the WDS Start Nework Interface
message contains something like a port ID.  I found some referencs to a
iface_handle and a data_call_origin field.

If the QMI request is issued on the control pipe associated with one
particular network interface, I geuss it is implicit that at least the
default is to transport the data over that interface, too.

The next question is how to put different PDP contexts in different
network devices...  But let's see how far I get in terms of the basics,
first.

Regards,
	Harald