Point to Point interface over qmi_wwan device

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sat Oct 1 16:39:05 UTC 2016

Tang Nguyen <tang_nguyen at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am working on the feature of setting a netmask of /32 for  wwan network interface.  Usually, dhclient would get a /29 netmask  from mini dhcpserver in modem.  The wwanX ethernet-line interface and /29 netmask has affected to OSPF network design over LTE modem.  We need to have a Point-to-Point interface and /32 netmask on wwan to solve this problem.
> I can open a PPP pver serial ttyUSB serial oport, but doing that we loose the AT command port and too much PPP overhead.
> Can we have anyway to force wwanX to have  /32 netmask  over libqmi - I intend to use "ip or ifconfig" command to change netmask of wwan, but not sure it is the right way or not.

Setting a /32 mask manually should not be a problem as long as you don't
use DHCP.  You'll just have to configure routing manually too.  But
since you are running OSPF, I guess that's not a problem.

I must admit I'm a bit curious about the OSPF part. Don't think it is
very common to run routing protocols over LTE links.  But I cannot think
of any reason why it shouldn't work. IS-IS won't work, though :)