Cannot get IPv4 address from EE UK with MC7455

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 21:21:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 21:04 +0100, Cian Masterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a SIM from EE UK with a Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem and
> when I
> try to connect it fails with the error "[3gpp] ipv6-only-
> allowed".  The
> command I'm using is
>
> qmicli -d
> /dev/cdc-wdm2 --wds-start-network=ip-
> type=4,apn=everywhere,auth=chap,username=eesecure,password=secure
> --client-cid=35 --client-no-release-cid

Let's see what your PDP/EPS contexts are.  Your device should expose
one or more serial ports, one of which will probably speak AT commands.
 You can use "minicom -d /dev/xxxxx" (where the xxxxx is something like
ACM0 or USB1) and then type:

AT+CGDCONT? <hit return>

and then copy and paste what it says in a reply to this mail.

It may be that the only contexts defined on the device are IPv6 ones,
and since you're requesting IPv4 the device doesn't allow that.  The
contexts are stored on the device, not related to the SIM, so that
would explain why you can do IPv4 on the Toby.

Alternatively, if you have a new enough qmicli, you can:

qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-profile-list=3gpp

which will return some of the same information, but that has spotty
support on devices and firmware sometimes returns bogus information,
we've found.

Dan