qusetion about DHCP funcationality in libqmi

Chen, Jing Jing.Chen at spirent.com
Fri Feb 10 23:33:11 UTC 2017

Dan: Thank you so much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Williams [mailto:dcbw at redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:50 PM
To: Chen, Jing; libqmi-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: qusetion about DHCP funcationality in libqmi

Hi,

No, DHCP functionality is not implemented in libqmi.  It's implemented in the modem's firmware and depends on the network mode the firmware boots up into, or is told to use.  There are two:

1) 802.3 - the "net" port emulates an ethernet interface and can be used easily with DHCP; this is often the easiest to use because it doesn't require reading/parsing IP details from QMI, and everyone already has a DHCP client somehwere.

2) raw-ip - the "net" port does not emulate ethernet, but instead transmits and receives raw IP packets.  This is more efficient, since the ethernet framing is entirely pointless and is not transmitted over the air.  You can use QMI to request the IP details that should be assigned statically to the net port rather than run DHCP.

libqmi/qmicli leave the device in whatever mode it boots up in, and provide the --get-expected-data-format/--set-expected-data-format
options to switch between the two.

But the latest Gobi drivers from CodeAurora force the device into raw- ip mode, see QMI.c::QMIWDASetDataFormatReq() and the "Link Layer Protocol" TLV:

   // Link Layer protocol
   *(u8 *)(pBuffer + sizeof( sQMUX ) + 11)  = 0x11;
   // Size
   *(u16 *)(pBuffer + sizeof( sQMUX ) + 12) = 0x0004;
   // IP is enabled
   *(u32 *)(pBuffer + sizeof( sQMUX ) + 14) = 0x00000002;

where 0x00000002 means "use raw-ip mode".  So there's your problem.  It doesn't look like you can even ask the Gobi drivers to use 802.3 mode.

Dan