Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A

Benoît benoit at neviani.fr
Sun Jan 8 23:08:02 UTC 2017

>I don't know if you already saw this:
>http://laforge.gnumonks.org/blog/20161230-33c3-presentation/
>
>The situation is similar for any LTE modem.  Which means that there
>isn't really much the host drivers can do to secure the system. The
>modems are powerful systems by themselves, running a big binary firmware
>blob you have no control over.  It doesn't really matter if it is based
>on lots of GPL software either. The important central piece of it (the
>"baseband") is binary only and based on unknown sources.
>

>Bjørn

Thanks for sharing the link Bjørn!
This is concerning me :
https://media.defcon.org/DEF%20CON%2023/DEF%20CON%2023%20presentations/DEFCON-23-Mickey-Shkatov-Jesse-Michael-Scared-poopless-LTE-and-your-laptop-UPDATED.pdf

So does that mean that there is nothing to do from the host perspective
to "secure" the system?

If an internal Linux is run inside the chip and that this Linux can be
rooted or externally executed some commands...

Does that mean that if the chip/baseband is compromised then the whole
host system is as well? No way to protect the host against this?

I am very interested to heard about any info as now I am in doubt to buy
a laptop with a chip like this included...(if I spend time to enforce my
system and one little piece destroy all the rest :-(

many thanks

--
Benoit