Error setting operating mode.

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Mar 2 11:25:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Paul Gildea <gildeap at tcd.ie> wrote:
> I wish to use libqmi to enable airplane mode on a modem, it doesn't seem to
> have this capability so I am looking at adding it. I guess I want to have
> the radio set to offline and be persistent over reboot somehow. Anyway, when
> testing out what I might do via the command set I have tried to turn the
> radio off and then turn it back on to simulate turning on and off airplane
> mode. However this gives an error I am having trouble with, any help would
> be appreciated:
>
> qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=offline
> Operating mode set successfully
> qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=online
> error: couldn't set operating mode: QMI protocol error (60):
> 'InvalidTransaction'

The "InvalidTransaction" translation is wrong, it should be
"InvalidTransition"; I fixed that a couple of days ago in git.

Anyway, the problem you have is that the only transition allowed out
of "offline" is "reset" (i.e. power cycle the modem).

The airplane mode states are:
  *  "low-power" (will do IMSI detach and RF off), if the module
resets the setting is forgotten (i.e. it goes to "online"
automatically)
  * "persistent-low-power" (will do IMSI detach and RF off), and if
the module resets the setting is re-applied (i.e. it doesn't go to
"online" automatically)

You can at any time go from these low power modes to "online".