[RFC] libqmi without glib2 and qmicli JSON output

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 08:07:35 UTC 2017

Hey,

1. Background:
OpenWrt/LEDE, has uqmi package, hosted here:
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=project/uqmi.git;a=summary

That package is very tiny and works with some QMI modems.
I only tested with Sierra MC73xx.

But for MC74xx, I've hit some limitations that I've eventually found
explained here:
https://bitbucket.org/aleksander0m/ravemodemfactory

So, now I've ported libqmi to OpenWrt/LEDE, and wrote a proto handler
for OpenWrt/LEDE's

2. The point (1) - libqmi without glib2
glib2 is a bit big for OpenWrt/LEDE
I have started trying to write glue-code to remove it, but I don't
have time atm to go all the way.
But I will try to make some time later for this.

Question is: would it be reasonable to add a option to the ./configure
part to do ./configure --with-internal-glib-code [ or whatever name
works ] ?
I'll do the work ; just want to know if this would be acceptable.

I agree we can't get rid of glib2 completely ; for OpenWrt/LEDE we
have to build a host glib2 so that I can convert the .json definitions
to C code [and that is perfectly fine].
But for the target build [ that gets installed on the device ] I would
prefer to not install glib2.
And sure, maybe it's a futile effort, but I'd still like to try.

3. The point (2) - qmicli JSON output
Some OpenWrt/LEDE scripts/commands output JSON.
And there is a very neat way [in the eco-system] to work with JSON in shell.
I would also like to output JSON output [of course, me doing the work].

Parsing JSON in OpenWrt/LEDE is way nicer than running sed,awk,grep
commands to get the value I want.
Especially when output is verbose, and I want 3 values of 20.

Is this [also] something that's reasonable ?

Thanks
Alex