Drivers for cellular modems

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 14:42:02 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 16:14 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Don't make things more complicated than necessary.  Boot Linux and it
> will figure this out for you.

To expand a bit on Bjorn's reply, the kernel looks at the device's USB
descriptors and will choose the matching driver automatically.  So if
the USB device itself advertises MBIM functionality, then the kernel
will choose cdc_mbim.  If the device matches known QMI USB layouts,
then the kernel will choose qmi_wwan.

Both qmi_wwan and cdc_mbim can be loaded at the same time, driving
different devices.

For your last question, many devices support multiple USB layouts in
the same device, but require an explicit switch command to change
whether they expose QMI, MBIM, or AT/etc to the host computer.

Dan