A few initial EM7565 observations

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 18:27:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 18:55 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 2018-01-17 at 23:03 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> >
> > > Nice.  That confirms the theory: QMAP is the future.  Good thing
> > > we
> > > already support that then :-)
> >
> > I guess we should find out how to make drivers/net/qualcomm/rmnet
> > work
> > with qmi_wwan then...
>
> Or just use the support built into qmi_wwan.  See the
>
>  /sys/class/net/<iface>/qmi/{add_mux,del_mux}
>
> syfs attributes.  They are even (sort of) documented:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-net-
> qmi
>
> Qualcomm was a bit late into the game as always.  Not as late as
> usual,
> but still too late.

Oh hey cool, missed that or forgot about it, not sure which.  Though it
still seems to me that having two drivers to do the same thing
(theoretically) is somewhat redundant.  I was hoping you'd chime in
when the rmnet driver got proposed upstream, but davem merged it anyway
even though I think it has some conceptual issues.  Do we plan to
support most of the things that the rmnet driver does (aggregation,
etc) or do we plan on making them compatible with each other at some
point?

Dan