Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu May 24 08:04:41 UTC 2018

Sebastian Sjoholm <sebastian.sjoholm at gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to add some identification regarding SIMCOM, but haven't come
> around to get it to work properly. Currently I solved it by setting the USB
> id to 0x9002 in the modem which reflects the configuration example below.
> The SimCom modem have AT command set this id.

Hello Sebastian!

This problem has surfaced again on the LEDE discussion forum, where I
got the lsusb -v output from a SIM7100E and SIM7600E-H (both using the
same ID, which I also understand is used by the SIM7230E):


As I note there, I see two promising triggers: The bcdDevice version
number and the bmAttributes flags (SIM7600E-H supports Remote Wakeup,
while the SIM7100E does not).

Are you able to provide "lsusb -vd 1e0e:9001" for one or more SIMCOM
modems?  Anyone else with one of these modems, please join in too.
The more descriptor samples we have, the better.

And any of you with only an older modem currently working fine should
definitely send me the lsusb  sample now.  That's the only way to ensure
that I don't break anything currently working....

FWIW, I have decided to argue against the usual "we don't break
existing stuff" in this case.  SIMCOM sells broken devices. We can never
make any gurantee that they will work with Linux.  And by continuing to
release new broken modem varianst, SIMCOM are making workarounds harder
and harder.  This is going to break down in the end, even if we manage
to come up with some creative solution right now.

So the only real solution is to stop buying any device with the
1e0e:9001 device ID.  They are unsupportable.  IIUC, this means all
SIMCOM modems.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.


More information about the libqmi-devel mailing list