MMS retrieval

Christopher McKenzie chris at waive.car
Wed Jun 12 17:34:12 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've checked the mailing list and I can't find any history on this. I'm
wondering if anyone has successfully received the content of MMS messages.

On my T-Mobile SIM I get a message that translates to
(binascii.unhexlify of the mmcli -m -s * content)
"application/vnd.wap.mms-message" with a URL link at the end of the
payload.  When I curl -I the url I get the following:

299 GBA "Generic Bootstrapping Architecture (3GPP TS 33.220) support is
required to access the requested resource"

After doing some research it looks like the server wants to have a
sophisticated conversation with me (see the spec here, warning zipped
msword:
https://portal.3gpp.org/desktopmodules/Specifications/SpecificationDetails.aspx?specificationId=2280).

I've seen evidence that Maemo knows how to talk this language and after
searching the source code I believe that gammu does not.

I've found a few implementations that will decode the
vnd.wap.mms-message payload, but no standalone that will then proceed to
talk with the remote server and get the content.

Has anyone found any open source tools that can ingest these
application/vnd.wap.mms-message payloads and get the corresponding MMS
content?

Or, alternatively, is there another way to retrieve the (mostly) images
from an MMS message that doesn't use this approach? Thanks.

~chris.