Issues with IPv4v6 and IPv6 on openwrt with a Quectel EG06-E

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Nov 7 16:52:06 UTC 2019

Hey Thomas, Bjørn and all,

I'm trying to test IPv4v6 and IPv6 using a Quectel EG06-E, which runs
in QMI mode. This is in OpenWRT, using this branch that I'm working
on:
https://github.com/aleksander0m/openwrt-packages/commit/b5805c3e1d2965662d2fe16aa80140a242339abd
(BTW, any additional test with that branch would be very welcome)

When I fire up the connection through ModemManager, the logic will
create separate WDS clients for the IPv4 and IPv6 "start network"
commands (only one IPv6 client in case of IPv6 only).

What I see in the logs is that the "start network" command for the
IPv4 part works successfully, but the one for the IPv6 part returns a
"NoEffect" error.

<<<<<< QMUX:
<<<<<<   length  = 26
<<<<<<   flags   = 0x80
<<<<<<   service = "wds"
<<<<<<   client  = 20
<<<<<< QMI:
<<<<<<   flags       = "response"
<<<<<<   transaction = 3
<<<<<<   tlv_length  = 14
<<<<<<   message     = "Start Network" (0x0020)
<<<<<< TLV:
<<<<<<   type       = "Result" (0x02)
<<<<<<   length     = 4
<<<<<<   value      = 01:00:1A:00
<<<<<<   translated = FAILURE: NoEffect

In the logic of MM, a "NoEffect" error is treated as no error, so the
logic goes on and tries to "WDS Get Current Settings" with the IPv6
client, and that one fails with an OutOfCall error.

<<<<<< QMUX:
<<<<<<   length  = 19
<<<<<<   flags   = 0x80
<<<<<<   service = "wds"
<<<<<<   client  = 20
<<<<<< QMI:
<<<<<<   flags       = "response"
<<<<<<   transaction = 4
<<<<<<   tlv_length  = 7
<<<<<<   message     = "Get Current Settings" (0x002D)
<<<<<<   type       = "Result" (0x02)
<<<<<<   length     = 4
<<<<<<   value      = 01:00:0F:00
<<<<<<   translated = FAILURE: OutOfCall

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here?
These tests are using the "data.tre.dk" APN in Denmark.