EM7565 firmware upgrade in OpenWrt

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Nov 19 11:54:13 UTC 2019

Hey!

> This could be made a bit easier, I think. I realize that it's hard to
> make it work perfectly, like on the desktop, without udev.  But it would
> be useful to have qmi-firmware-update set the correct new firmware
> preference based on the provided image, instead of manually cutting and
> pasting (and getting it wrong...).

Yes, I believe it should be possible to handle all this. See
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/issues/18
Patches welcome! ;)

> And it would be nice to be able to select the target slot, which I don't
> think qmicli supports? Not a problem for me right now since there were 3
> empty slots.  But I have often wanted to override the auto-selection
> when all slots have been in use. Typically becasue I consider an older
> firmware version stable, and want to replace a newer and less stable
> version.

Yeah, I see that there is no way to use the "download-override" or
"set-modem-storage-index" options in qmicli
--dms-set-firmware-preference. We should probably update that option
to allow key-value pairs, or otherwise, extend it with those two
optional additional things. Anyway making qmi-firmware-update work
without udev would make that irrelevant, as qmi-firmware-update
already has support for --override-download and
--modem-storage-index=[INDEX].