qmi-proxy crashing?

Paul Gildea gildeap at tcd.ie
Mon Feb 24 11:23:30 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Have seen this issue a few times now, the qmi-proxy appears to be crashing.
Every qmi command for every modem on the system then gets this error:

qmicli --device-open-qmi -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm9 --nas-get-signal-strength
error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Couldn't spawn the qmi-proxy

Have you seen this before, or can think of a good way to debug it? Can that
daemon be restarted?
So far only rebooting the whole system will bring the modems/qmicli back to
operation.

Here are the logs of it happening in one instance, below. Modem0 reboots,
CID allocation fails, I query the modem a few times with
['--wda-get-data-format']
and it times out (which is normal after it has rebooted - takes a while for
it to be able to respond to this)
and suddenly all qmi commands start to fail. I notice around this time,
just beforehand, modem commands start to time out in general. Previously to
this I noticed that, for another modem, I had told it to reset via libqmi
and it returns "successful", but the modem actually never resets. No matter
how many times I run the command to do so.
Not the first time that has happened also.

modem0: qmi_cmd: resp="error: couldn't create client for the 'wda' service:
CID allocation failed in the CTL client: Transaction timed out\n"
modem0: qmi_cmd: ['--wda-get-data-format']
modem0: qmi_cmd: resp="error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction
timed out\n"
modem0: qmi_cmd: ['--wda-get-data-format']
modem0: qmi_cmd: resp="error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction
timed out\n"
modem0: qmi_cmd: ['--wda-get-data-format']
modem3: nas_get_serving_system: get_packet_service_status failed "error:
couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction timed out\n"
modem2: nas_get_serving_system: get_packet_service_status failed "error:
couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction timed out\n"
modem0: qmi_cmd: resp="error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction
timed out\n"
modem0: qmi_cmd: ['--wda-get-data-format']
modem0: qmi_cmd: resp="error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Couldn't spawn
the qmi-proxy\n"

Regards,

--
Paul