QMICLI

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Oct 7 08:19:16 UTC 2020

Hey,

> i'm using qmicli to connect a rasberry to sim7000e.
>
> if works for connection, but when there aren't signal, it go to Translation time out
>
> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --device-open-"net=net-raw-ip|net-no-qos-header" --wds-start-network="apn=apn.fastweb.it,ip-type=4" --client-no-release-cid
> root at raspberrypi:/home/pi# Error system command: qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --device-open-"net=net-raw-ip|net-no-qos-header" --wds-start-network="apn=apn.fastweb.it,ip-type=4" --client-no-release-cid
> error: operation failed: Transaction timed out
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Client ID not released:
>         Service: 'wds'
>             CID: '2'
>
> always when there aren't signal.

The "QMI WDS Start Network" command launched by qmicli has a 45s
timeout, which is too tight. We shouldn't be so optimistic, and we
should probably use a much higher timeout like 180s, so that we let
the modem reply to the command (even if it's a failure) instead of
returning a "Transaction timed out" message. See
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/merge_requests/168

BTW, we should do the same in MM and consolidate the different
connection attempt timeouts we have around, because each
plugin/protocol has a different one...