handoff / handover indicator

Tomcsanyi, Domonkos domi at tomcsanyi.net
Sun Aug 29 17:07:59 UTC 2021

Hi Ravid,

Firstly I think the most important is to get the terms correctly: so by handover do you mean handing over an ongoing service (voice or data) from one cell to another, or do you mean cell reselection in idle mode because of moving or change of radio conditions?

The first one is actively triggered by the network to maintain continuity in the service as much as possible, the other happens autonomously by the baseband. Sadly both of them are quite hard to detect, because even though certain events are fired and thresholds are crossed these remain internal to the baseband firmware as far as I know.

Kind regards,
Domi