qmi_wwan add_mux/del_mux

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sun Jan 31 10:01:36 UTC 2021

> > Regarding libqmi-glib, I thought of adding new APIs in the QmiDevice
> > to allow setting/getting the pass through value, but given that this
> > setting *requires* first enabling raw-ip, I have instead updated the
> > QmiDeviceExpectedDataFormat enum with a new "QMAP_PASS_THROUGH" value,
> > in addition to "802_3" and "RAW_IP". The
> > qmi_device_set_expected_data_format() will update the "raw_ip" and
> > "pass_through" settings to the required values for each
> > QmiDeviceExpectedDataFormat (considering also that in older kernels
> > these may not exist)
> >
> > See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/merge_requests/205
> >
> > Comments welcome!
> >

> This all looks very interesting. Can't wait to get it in OpenWRT :-)
>
> Did I understand you correctly that this call wouldn't be needed anymore:
> qmicli ... --wds-bind-mux-data-port=mux-id=${mux_id},ep-iface-number=${ep_id}

It depends on how you're connecting the modem right now. If you have
just one single APN connection, you could still do that WDS bind of a
given mux id to the whole interface specified by the ep-iface-number.

With the new method, you'll be able to instantiate a whole new network
interface as a "link" of the parent network interface, and use the new
interface for a specific mux-id. This new method allows you to have
multiple connections (e.g. to different APNs) multiplexed over a
single network interface.

This will all be supported by ModemManager as well.