misleading error message from wds:start

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Jun 1 07:47:06 UTC 2021

Hey Sai,

> I have a linux application to start / stop data connection on a 4G modem with QMI APIs. I start the network with autoconnect flag enabled.
>
> If I force low power mode on the modem (ensuring no network) and restart my application, I expect the following function to return an error with a 'no-service' message, instead I get 'no-effect', which is mis-leading. I expect the 'no-effect' message in case of multiple start attempts, but not when there is no network.
>
> qmi_message_wds_start_network_output_get_result()
>
> If anyone faced the same issue, please share your inputs.

Probably the module will always return NoEffect on a WDS Start Network
if autoconnect has been enabled, regardless of whether the module is
registered in a network or not. Looking at what you explained, that's
what I would say it's happening.

Please note this returned error is something coming from the module
itself, not something libqmi decides to return. If you're not happy
with the error type returned and you think something better should be
returned, you should probably talk to the module manufacturer
directly; libqmi is just the messenger :)

Cheers!