Querying operator name

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Thu Sep 8 21:20:33 UTC 2022

> I keep running into this problem with libqmi - the commands are
> documented but not the responses.

All commands and response of the libqmi-glib library are documented, you
get basic info about the expected arguments, their type and so on. The
actual "meaning" of each field is given in the Qualcomm references (all
the gtk-doc documentation for all methods is autogenerated from code).

But I believe you mean qmicli here, right?

> Has anyone considered turning on the
> Wiki tab in Github https://github.com/freedesktop/libqmi
> <https://github.com/freedesktop/libqmi> so we can use it for
> documentation? Would be good to have examples of data returned,
> explanation of fields, etc.

Please not that the github repository is only a clone of the official
one in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi. No
development is done in github directly.

Regarding the missing documentation, especially for qmicli commands,
yes, it is very very far from perfect, and properly using some commands
requires going over either source code or git commit messages or just
knowing a bit of the background of how qmicli parses input strings.

The good news is that the situation is so bad that it can probably be
easily improved :)

Some possible paths forward:
  * Write documentation about how the generic operation of qmicli works
(e.g. what is running with the proxy, what are the client id allocation
specific options and so on) in modemmanager.org.
  * Include examples of the most common difficult commands (e.g. set
operations with key-value pairs and such) in modemmanager.org.
  * Improve the qmicli man page itself, and avoid autogenerating it from
--help as that really only ends up giving the same information as in
--help, so it's not really useful. If you ask me, this would be the way
to go, because a properly written man page can then also be exported
into html easily and we gain the online documentation for free.

modemmanager.org is maintained in
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/mobile-broadband.pages.freedesktop.org
and anyone can contribute changes and suggestions there.

Help is really welcome here. If anyone is up to the task of improving
the documentation, please let me know and I can help coordinate.