[LGM] new things

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Wed Dec 12 03:00:17 PST 2012

The fact that we link LGM 2013 to Interactivos? is new and important for involving artists/designers interested in Free Culture and F/LOSS.

Interactivos? is a well-established prototyping format, developed by Medialab Prado since 2006 and taken serious by creative people. As you know, this years' edition will be directly connected to LGM, both in timing and in subject. http://medialab-prado.es/interactivos

So, not sure how to phrase this Alexandre ;-):

- First LGM in Spanish-speaking world
- Involvement of new partners: Open Knowledge Foundation, FLOSS-Manuals, LGRU, Medialab Prado ...
- Creative workshops involving Libre Graphics software and hardware
- LGM energy continues for two weeks with Interactivos?13: Tools for a Read-Write world http://medialab-prado.es/article/ilgru_call_projects
- 8 new ideas for Libre Graphics projects, to be developed in two weeks following the event
- Performance of the Piksels and Lines Orchestra, an experimental performance system for graphic design; linking a whole suite of LG-tools. It is being developed by Brendan Howell and Jon Nordby http://www.piksel.no/pulse/plo

?

> Two additional "activity" possibilities fresh from the FontForge Book Sprint this week....
>
> A documentation sprint would be new. Adam Hyde at FLOSSManuals expressed some interest in trying something like that -- not the full-book-sprint, but perhaps updating & fixing docs, or something like that.

Yes! We worked with Mick Fuzz in Rotterdam. FLOSS-manuals is involved in the LGRU network so we for sure can bring him to Madrid (seems Adam Hyde will not be involved directly in sprints anymore)
Are you already in contact about setting anything up for LGM 2013?

> We'd also bandied about the possibility of a 'font sprint' -- I think Vernon and Adam both mentioned something of this nature, but may have meant different things.  The one I remember (but I don't remember who proposed it) would have focused on extending a selected font's language coverage, even if it was something as simple as building good diacritics.

Good idea.

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Dave Neary <dneary at gnome.org <mailto:dneary at gnome.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     How about borrowing some hardware, and having an artists workshop?

There are many Libre Graphics projects popping up right now (partially LGRU) around plotters, lasercutters, 3D printers. For sure there will be two or three ready for LGM 2013.

>     You could even have some tablets there.
>
>     Put together a best-of slideshow at the end, and award a "Best of Show" prize - something like a Wacom Intuos (if you can get one) or something?
>
>     How about a photo walk, so that people can do montages, retouching, or whatever with photos taken of Berlin during the week?

Eh ... you mean Madrid ;-)?