[LGM] Sponsoring: Python and Code of Conduct

ale rimoldi a.l.e at ideale.ch
Wed Dec 12 05:42:02 PST 2012

hi
> Hello
>
> For some years we had support from the Python foundation for LGM (3000
> euros). If we would manage to have their support again this year it
> would be an important contribution, both in money and network.
> We can rework the application we did in 2010
> http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/documents/LGM2010/dossiers/PSF_LGM.pdf
>
> Are you OK with a Code of Conduct for LGM?
> http://pyfound.blogspot.nl/2012/12/psf-moves-to-require-code-of-conduct.html

TL;DR: if we write a code of conduct, please let's create a list of
positive behaviors we want to promote.

personally, i don't feel comfortable with a policy like the ones
presented by the python foundation.

while i agree that a software conference like ours should not be
sexualized or racist (among all the potential "exclusive" behaviors that
you can think of), i don't value a list like the one i read at
https://us.pycon.org/2012/codeofconduct/ .

from the experiences i have had at the LGM, i don't think we need a code
of conduct...

... but if we ever feel the need of such a paper (even just for formal
reason, like being able to apply for specific funds), i would welcome a
nice, friendly and positive code of conduct stressing which behaviors
make a good LGM.
not a list of possible negative things that almost never happened at the
lgm[1] and which are unlikely to happen in madrid (or disturb anybody
there).

ciao
a.l.e

[1] i'm not 100% sure of it, but i think that we already had very few
(or just one?) presentations with slightly sexist content... but if i
recall it correctly, the reaction from the attendance was more towards
making the presenter feeling uncomfortable, while nobody in the room was
really feeling harassed... so: probably a non issue.