[LGM] [CREATE] LGM-organiser meet in Madrid, today 18:00

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 10:59:35 PDT 2013

Hey,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM, ale rimoldi <a.l.e at ideale.ch> wrote:
>>> as i have written, from what i can guess, members of all the teams who have
>>> made a proposal on sunday did read my mail except the one proposing medellin
>>> (who seem to have come to the idea of proposing the venue by attending the
>>> lgm).
>>>
>>> but i agree that in the future we should make a broader call, than what we
>>> did for this year.
>>> yes, there is wider world than this list!
>>>
>>> you all are welcome to give addresses where such a call for 2015 should be
>>> published!
>>
>> well the LGM website. In my opinion, this is the main place where it
>> should be from the start of the search. Nowadays people search the web
>> first, not mailing lists.
>> There should be a huge banner on the main page with a call for the
>> place. And you could even tell them to come on the mailing list in the
>> banner text, if you want this discussion public and here. But there
>> needs an announcement there.
>>
>> Also I don't understand. These people made proposals. Maybe not to the
>> right people or email, maybe not publicly, but then it has been
>> forwarded here. Why can't we answer them through these other media to
>> come discuss here if that's really what we consider the only good way?
>> Communication is bi-directional.
>
> Ok to be myself true to my own saying, I took on me to answer to Juan
> Guillermo Herrara from Medellin (this list in CC) to ask him to
> continue the discussion here. I also gave him the link to the old wiki
> for the guidelines.
> I mean, how can anyone know about this all (especially the wiki
> archived on archive.org!) if they are not told it explicitly?
>
> Note that I have no bias on where should be the next LGM (both
> Montreal and Medellin would be far from where I probably will be at
> the time anyway), I just want the decision process to be fair to new
> people who don't know about unsaid rules.
>
> I could not send an email directly to any of the other proposal
> makers, because this is actually the only one I saw passing through
> any of this or the create mailing lists. But I suggest to do the same
> for the others, for having a real choice in the matter.

Ok about this all, I have been explained off-list that I was basically
wrong. I misunderstood the situation and made kind of a faux-pas. I
wish to apologize and hope that did not make things worse, especially
as I am not someone in charge of communication (or anything else
anyway).

As a simple reader on the list, I had the wrong feeling that some
people's proposal for hosting the event was not properly considered
because they did not go through the right channel. And as I always
want to help newcomers in FLOSS projects when they don't find the
right procedure, I wanted to do the same here. But that's the kind of
mistake you see only a small side of things.
So now I'll go back to silently read the mailing list and do less
mistakes. :-) And once again sorry. :-(

Jehan