[LGM] Denouement

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Apr 25 17:10:15 PDT 2013

On 04/25/2013 05:48 PM, María Leandro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To be honest, I think that yes, language used in the list should be
> moderated, however, kicking people off doesn't show that we are trying
> to change things.
>
> Can you guys talk this in a different moment/place so we all can just
> keep focusing on organizing a good event?

This sounds a bit like the ostrich approach.

Let me just say, now that I've have others defending my honor, so to
speak, that I don't think that some (hopefully brief) discussions about
the decorum of a list are ever off topic, since they can establish some
boundaries of discourse for all to be aware of. I won't address any of
the prior issues since when things degenerate to something bordering on
if not actually representing ad hominem arguments, there is no room for
intelligent discussion.

Personally I was neither wounded nor severely offended. 150 years ago
this might have led to pistols at dawn, but I think we've considerably
progressed since then.

À propos to this, an article in the most recent Harvard Business Review,
entitled "Creating the Best Workplace on Earth" listed among the
elements which create a "Dream Company" were "we're all encouraged to
express our differences" and "passion is encouraged, even when it leads
to conflict."

Greg