[LGM] selection for LGM: 18-19 February

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 06:39:45 PST 2013

2013/2/1 Femke Snelting <snelting at collectifs.net>:
> Hello Louis,
>

>> In advance excuse me if I missed something. I am overwhelmingly busy at
>> the office with a water damage that has affected all our operations since
>> Dec. 2. However I can catch up, of course.
>

> I am so sorry to hear about the damage

It’s worse than one can think. The whole office was taken down. No
walls, no floors, no electricity, no wires, nothing. We’ll get back in
our office during the week of Feb 25. That’s almost 3 months after our
office was flooded from the 5th floor... down to the ground (we’re on
3rd floor). Computers, digital presses, post-press equipment, all was
destroyed by this dirty and rusty water.

>> One thing that I would like to stress prior to set the schedule is that I
>> think we need a breathing schedule.
>>
>> Leaving much room for meetings, among teams and between teams makes lots
>> of sense to me.
>

> Yes. The schedule itself was discussed on the list a few months ago, and has
> the usual large breaks, an open morning on Wednesday and a hack-day on
> Sunday http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2013/schedule

Ok, glad to read this.

> I personnaly don’t care whether one of the Scribus’ team member (or any
> team) shows up on stage to explain what has been done or what’s coming in
> the near future.
>
> I do :-)

Yeah, don’t take that on the first degree, please. There was this
"unless" to begin the 2nd sentence of the same paragraph. ;-)

> Unless, of course, they show up with an incredible and long-awaited feature!
> (which happens). But to me *the* real interest of LGM is being able to sit
> down with people and work hard on some topics and have the ideas put on the
> table. LGM is great for this. So, booking conferences, yes. But not only.
> Booking meetings, big yes. *And* leave space for lightning talks that will
> naturally emerge from the big bang of ideas, as always in LGM.
>
> Agree of course with leaving enough space for lightning talks and meetings;
> you'll see the venue, location and climate is made for it!

Hard to imagine from here, to be honest. We were at 8 ºC yesterday and
-13 ºC tonight. We had a frozen week of -28 ºC just before that and
we’ll dive again deep in the cold under -20 ºC in the coming days.
Climate... It’s a fight here! :-)

> LGM is clearly not a conference, it is a meeting. But for newcomers,
> presentations are the only way to show what they are working on; for
> everyone it is a chance to find out about what others are doing and who to
> meet with. And there is lots of new exciting projects on the horizon.

Might be a too late idea but what about a few booths for projects to
present themselves? Permanent booth throughout the LGM would allow
anybody at any time to get to know any participating project.

Louis