[LGM] reimbursing traveling expenses: for active people or for presentations?

Dave Neary dneary at gnome.org
Tue Feb 5 05:21:12 PST 2013

Hi ALE,

My position has always been "make the conference as good as possible".

At the start, the goal of the conference was to get a critical mass of
developers from key graphics projects together so that they could have
team meetings, and so that we could have cross pollination across the
projects. The talks were just our "rent" so that we could put on some
content targeted at staff & students.

As the conference evolved, it became a goal to broaden both the scope
(in terms of projects represented) and depth (in terms of the types of
attendees, getting more artists for example) of the conference.

Certainly, putting the developers of the GIMP with their most passionate
users was a goal of mine for the first one, and the reason why I was
delighted to have AndyFitz give a talk on his workflow with the free
tools so that people could see live how a graphic designer uses them.

I specifically wanted to avoid "talk for costs" discussions, because I
wanted to choose the content to set the tone for the conference, and not
force people to submit content which might turn out to not be so
interesting, just to get costs paid.

As I say *every time* a "what is the process?" discussion comes up: go
beyond the process, think about what we want to achieve, and the
decisions will be easier. Start with the goals, let the process grow
from that.

Is person X travelling from a company? Perhaps he can expense his
travel. Is person Y a poor student also maintaining one of the most
exciting graphics programs on the scene? Then we should cover his costs,
even if he doesn't have a presentation. Is it worth covering the costs
of someone who is "only" an artist? Sure! But perhaps invite them to run
a workshop, or sit down with developers for half an hour to show them
his annoyances and how he would like to use the tool.

Cheers,
Dave.